Don't hide your light  

Posted by Tiffany

"Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins."
Isaiah 58:1

I was reading this verse this morning, and the Lord really spoke strongly to me about the many ways I still hold back from shining His light into this world. As His children, we are not called to sit around defending our little Christian fortresses, but we are called to go on the offensive and advance His kingdom.

This is why we must shout it aloud, not just in words but in action! Our lives must be ones that are so consecrated to Christ that it speaks volumes to people, even when we don't even say anything. Physically, the words we proclaim might be said softly, but the truth they contain should resonate so loudly in the spiritual realm, bringing transformation and imparting life into all those who have open ears to listen and hear.

I am guilty of holding back when I should be shouting. There are so many times when unbelievers have asked me the reason I'm so joyful or have so much hope, and instead of telling them about Jesus, I just say something stupid like, "God is...ummm...good?" when inside me, the Holy Spirit is burning with all the words He wants me to say. Why? Fear of man. I didn't see it in myself till today, but I hold back because it was more important to me that people didn't misunderstand me than giving God full glory and credit for what He's done for me.

I didn't want people to think I was 'that freak' or think I was weird, so I would dumb down and water down my answers until they were 'socially acceptable' but there was barely any Jesus left in them. I was so convicted when I read this verse this morning.

We Christians have the answer, the cure, the thing that everyone is searching for. How would we feel if we had cancer and someone had the cure to it but chose to keep it to themselves, knowing that it meant that we were without hope and would die?

Yes, we have fear. Yes, we want to be accepted by others. But our love and compassion should compel us to step out of our comfort zone and break out of fear, because 'perfect love casts out all fear'. If we wait till we have prayed for enough boldness, or to be delivered from fear, we'll be waiting forever. Pray for more love and as you are broken over the heartaches and sufferings of others, you will find yourself pushing past fear and living a life that gives our Father the glory that He deserves.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."
Matthew 5:14-15

Stop holding back! Let's commit ourselves to fearing the Lord and not men, and allow Him to shine as brightly as He wants in us and through us. We need to be sensitive and respectful when we speak to others, but let it never hold us back from saying the things we know we should say.

No matter what we do, we will shine, because just as a child reflects the image of her earthly parents, we cannot help but reflect the image of our Heavenly Father. BUT, we can limit how much we shine for Him by trying to hide. Let's allow Him to polish and refine us, so that we can be bright lights guiding the world to His heart and not dim lights that barely light up a room.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at Wednesday, July 16, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment