Beauty  

Posted by Tiffany in

The question is asked, "Is there anything more beautiful in life than a boy and girl clasping clean hands and pure hearts in the path of marriage? Can there be anything more beautiful than young love?"

And the answer is given. "Yes, there is a more beautiful thing. It is the spectacle of an old man and an old woman finishing their journey together on that path. Their hands are gnarled, but still clasped; their faces are seamed, but still radiant; their hearts are physically bowed and tired, but still strong with love and devotion for one another. Yes, there is a more beautiful thing than young love. Old love" ---Anonymous


I was reading the book, "Stories For A Faithful Heart" on the bus this morning to work. I found it at the library yesterday, and it's basically a compilation of stories about love - God's love, romantic love, family love, love for the poor and needy, etc. This book is the kind of book that should be read in the privacy of your own home, because every few minutes, I had to gaze out the window and pretend to be so deeply engrossed with the scenery as the stories were so touching. My eyes were permanently watering with tears and I kept sniffling throughout the ride. How embarassing!

I don't know why, but little things touch me and move me so much more nowadays. I notice all the simple things, like the sound of raindrops dancing on the window, the kisses of the wind on my cheek, the complete innocence of a baby who smiles back at me when I grin at him. Yesterday, as I was waiting to cross the road, the wind suddenly picked up and a whole bunch of tiny leaves came swirling down all around me like snow for about 30 seconds, and all I could do was stand there with a stupid grin on my face and thank God for making the world so beautiful.

Sometimes, things are so beautiful that it breaks my heart. I love walking home after work (when my aunt can't be my chaffeur and send me home!) and just when I'm about to turn into my street, I catch a glimpse of the fiery red and golden sunset between the trees and the houses. It always fills me with so much awe, but sometimes I see it, there's this huge longing in my heart for something more and it moves me to tears. I read in a book somewhere that the reason why we are so moved by beauty is because there's a part of our spirit that remembers the way that God intended this world to be. And because of this, when we see beauty, our spirit is reminded of the glory and beauty of the original creation and it longs for that oneness that man used to have with God. It's a beautiful idea...

Beauty is all around us. It's in the reflection of the sun on the river waters, dazzling light blinding your eyes; the compassion of a stranger dropping a shiny coin into the old, worn cup of a beggar; the pure adoration of a child gazing into his mother's loving eyes...

We just have to open our eyes and hearts so that we can see.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at Thursday, November 01, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment